Tilapia is a popular food fish all over the world and easy to breed in man-made ponds. The fish grows rapidly and can be used in an abundance of tasty dishes. Tilapia farming took place in Israel and Egypt in ancient times. Many Tilapia species are native to the Africa continent where wild caught Tilapia as well as farm-raised Tilapia is very popular. This recipe for fried Tilapia is very easy to follow and produces a delicious fried Tilapia dish with a wonderful thyme and marjoram flavour. The recipe is based on one pound of Tilapia fillets, which is an adequate amount of fish for 4 servings of fried Tilapia.
Fried Tilapia ingredients:
1 pound of Tilapia fillets
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
¼ cup of flour (preferably all-purpose flour)
2 egg whites
¼ cup of yellow cornmeal
¼ cup of seasoned bread crumbs
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of dried marjoram
Fried Tilapia directions:
- Start by preheating the oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Cut the Tilapia fillets into four serving pieces if necessary.
- Place the Tilapia fillets in ice water and allow them to soak for a few minutes.
- Rinse the Tilapia fillets under cold running water, before you carefully pat them dry with a paper towel or similar.
- Place salt, pepper and flour in a shallow pan or plate and mix them together.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, and disregard the egg yolks. Beat the egg whites until they are white and foamy and put them in another shallow pan or plate.
- Place yellow cornmeal, bread crumbs, dried thyme and dried marjoram in a separate shallow pan or plate and blend the ingredients together.
- Cover the Tilapia fillets by first dipping them into the flour mix and then into the egg white mix. Finnish by carefully covering the Tilapia fillets completely in the bread crumb mix.
- Use cooking spray to coat a low sided baking pan.
- Put the Tilapia fillets in the baking pan and bake them in the oven during 10-12 minutes. The fried Tilapia is ready when it is easy to flake the fish using a fork.