Baking tilapia with white wine and fresh basil leaves is a great way of making an every day dish feels extravagant, and baking tilapia in this manner is easy if you follow this simple recipe. These guidelines can also be used when for baking thin fillets from any other mild tasting fish, such as flounder. Don’t be afraid to experiment a little with the seasoning and the fresh herbs in your kitchen. Some people prefer a spicier tilapia while others choose to cut down on some of the seasonings when baking tilapia.
Baking tilapia ingredients:
1 tablespoon of butter
½ cup of white wine
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
4 tilapia fillets
1 lemon, squeezed into juice
½ teaspoon of onion powder
2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
Directions for baking tilapia:
- Preheat your oven to 450° F.
- Put butter and white wine in a glass measuring cup and microwave it until the butter starts to melt. It will usually take 1 minute if you set the microwave to “high”.
- Spread fresh basil leaves of a glass baking dish, but save some of the largest leaves. These will be used to decorate the tilapia later.
- Put the tilapia fillets on the fresh basil leaves.
- Stir the squeezed lemon juice with the wine and butter mix.
- Pour the mix over the tilapia fillets.
- Apply salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs all over the tilapia fillets, and add some paprika powder on the top.
- Use aluminium foil to cover the glass baking dish.
- Place the dish in the lower third of your oven and let the tilapia bake for approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove the aluminium foil from the dish and let the tilapia fillets continue to bake for around 2-3 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven when it is easy to flake the fish with a fork.
- Serve the tilapia immediately.